Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day Dad!

There are two holidays that usually get me down - Mother's Day and Father's Day. It's because of the reminder that my Mother and Father are no longer physically with me. Mentally, they are around constantly in the faces of my children, relatives, and in my wonderful memories of them. My Mom passed away 2 1/2 years ago and my Dad has been gone for 14 years. Not a day goes by when a memory of them isn't triggered by something going on in my life or something will happen and I just want to rush over to talk to them about it. And then I remember....

I look with envy at other people's family gatherings that include multiple generations and remember how that used to be the way it was in my family on many occasions. We still get together now but with some family members living so far away, it isn't as often as I would like. How I'd like to go back in time every now and then but I know that it wouldn't be enough just to see them again for only a day.

I treasure the memories of those times, though and am so grateful that we did have them. My Dad was the guy with the accordion wallet who would ask if someone wanted to see his family and all the different folds would open up. He would need a huge wallet now to hold pictures of all his children and 17 grandchildren! And now, there is a great grandchild on the way, and a step great grandchild that I still haven't even met yet! How thrilled he would be. He was one proud Dad!! Mom kept up his legacy after Dad passed away and would tell everyone about her children and grandchildren. Still today, we run into friends of my parents and they ask about all of us and can pretty much name spouses and children. It's funny and touching at the same time!

For those of you who still have your parents with you, enjoy every moment with them and make your own special memories. You will look back fondly on those memories some day and they will get you through many tough times.

Fathers Day: Roses grow in Heaven, Lord, pick a bunch for me---Place them in my Dad's arms and tell him they're from me---Tell him that I love and miss him and when he turns to smile--place a kiss upon his cheek and hold him for a while--Because remembering him is easy--I do it everyday-- There's an ache ...within my heart that will.....never go away!!!

Love you and miss you Dad!

Nancy

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful post. I miss my Mom & Da & Husband too!

    Mother's Day, Father's Day their birthdays and Christmas are sad for me.

    God is taking care of them and me too!

    <><

    ReplyDelete